For the next two weeks I am in a bet that I will not be drinking alcohol and limiting eating out/generally unhealthy practices. Unfortunately the two open bottles of red wine I had sitting on the counter now no longer had a destination, and it seemed cruel to not utilize them. So instead I decided to make a wine infused dinner of steak tips! This is a great way to use up some old wine, but also provides a complex flavor for the steak tips very easily.
- Steak Tips
- Red wine (any will do) ~ 2 Cups
- Dried rosemary- a pinch
- Dried Thyme- a pinch
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder- a pinch
- Red pepper flakes- pinch
- Button Mushrooms-1 package
- Yellow onions- 2 small
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon beef stock concentrate
- Marinate the steak tips at least 5-7 hours. In a plastic container or bowl, place the steak tips and drown them in a cup of the wine. Then sprinkle in the red pepper flakes, garlic, pepper, salt, rosemary, and thyme. Make sure to shake the container/ move around the pieces so all get coated.
- Before cooking your steak you want to saute the onions and mushrooms on medium low heat. After the onions begin to turn translucent and the mushrooms begin to turn tender and release water. Add in the concentrated beef stock.
- Continue to cook vegetables for 5 minutes before adding in the additional red wine, and butter. Begin to reduce on medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes. Then remove and set aside.
- Get a cast iron nice and hot and place in the steak tips. Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side to get a char. Once all sides are browned, add the vegetables back into the cast iron and finish in a 400 degree oven for 7-10 minutes, depending on how you like your steak.
- I ate mine with mashed potatoes, roasted cauliflower, and good company! Enjoy!