With a new job comes a new routine. My new routine involves an early morning and a long commute. The problem is, I am not always hungry right when I wake up but if I wait until work I will be starving. This then prompted a test kitchen session of something portable for breakfast. Although I have made breakfast bars in the past, these are a new level. They are bigger and better than ever. They will be the perfect start to your morning and they are perfect to take it along with you.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- splash vanilla
- 1 apple
- 5 dates
- Mash up the bananas and add the oats, pecans, the vanilla, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Mix thoroughly and then pour into a greased pan, spread out evenly, and bake at 350 for 15 minute or until golden and slightly stiff.
- In a sauce pan, simmer on low the dates with 1/2 a cup of water. Adding another 1/2 a cup at least 1 more time until the dates are soft.
- Peel the apple and dice into bite sized pieces. Add this to the softened dates and add more water and the cinnamon. Continue to cook until softened and then transfer to a food processor and blend into a smooth paste.
- Layer this on top of the already cooked bars, and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Let cook, slice, and enjoy!! I freeze until I am ready to eat it!