Sometimes trying to cook something gluten free or vegan has all these crazy ingredients that you will likely only use for this one recipe and then it will sit in your pantry for the next 2 years. Well no longer. This recipe is incredibly easy, just a few ingredients, that you probably already have. The best part is that everyone will love this recipe, people that aren’t following a vegan or gluten free diet will still want to eat it. So what are we making?? Vegan, gluten free, sugar free apple crumble cookies. Oh yes, they taste like you had apple crumble and rolled it into a cookie. So try this sweet treat you wont feel guilty about.
- 2 apples (any kind)
- 1 cup oats
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- Optional: dark chocolate morsels or caramel morsels
- Begin by peeling your apples and then cutting them into cm pieces.
- In a sautee pan, add the oil and once that is hot add the apples and cook on medium low heat.
- Periodically you are going to add 2 tablespoons of water to the pan to soften your apples.
- You want to cook them low and slow to render out all the sweetness from the apples. You should add water about 3-4 times, until there is somewhat of a little “sauce” in the pan and you apples are tender without being completely mushy.
- Once this has happened, transfer the cooked apples to a food processor and use the chop feature for a few pulses. Just a few pulses, you dont want to pulverize the apples.
- Transfer this mix to a bowl, add some more spices, then add in the oats and baking powder. You want your final mixture (before you bake) to feel slightly sticky but not too wet, and not too dry. It shouldn’t stick to your hands but you should be able to mold it into a patty shape. So you may need to alter the amount of oats you use to obtain this consistency.
- Place cookies on a sprayed cookie sheet and then bake in a 375 oven for 15 minutes until lightly golden.
- Super easy, roommate approved, vegan, gluten free, AND sugar free. But you wont even notice.