In honor of my last night home I decided to cook an all out dinner for my family. Something I learned this weekend is that my cooking will never taste how I want it to if I continuously rush to cook it. It needs to be done slowly and with care. This isn’t always so easy to do, but everyone once in a while it is important to put real care into what you cook. This meal was made with a lot of love and care and the taste displayed that. So I am going to go through all the components of this meal and tell you how some are made.
- Salad with homemade dressing
- cauliflower au gratin
- green beans
- baked potatoes
- steak with sautéed mushrooms and onions
The cauliflower au gratin:
What you need:
- glove of garlic
- salt and pepper
- Begin by steaming the cauliflower with the glove of garlic with it.
- Once that is cooked chop up the cauliflower manually or in a food processor.
- Then in a oven safe dish place the cauliflower in and add about 2 tablespoons of milk into the pan.
- Add a bit of salt and pepper. Then cover with a healthy amount of cheese
- As a final touch add a bit of flavor with a sprinkle of dill on top.
- Bake this at 350 for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is deliciously melty and golden.
- Easy as that.
The salad was a simple garden salad with lots of veggies and the dressing was a simple vinaigrette but to boost flavor add some grainy mustard!!
Although I didn’t actually cook the steak, I marinated it and made the sautéed onions so basically made it all myself 😀
- red wine vinegar
- steak seasoning
- yeah.. pretty easy
Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions:
- This is a low and slow process. You want to slice up your onions and mushrooms. You want to try to make them all the same thickness so they will cook evenly.
- In a pan add a bit of oil and bring it up to a medium heat then add in your mushrooms and onions.
- Add a bit of salt and pepper. And cook this low and slow.
- You may need to add a bit more salt and pepper throughout the cooking process just to pull out the flavor.
- Once they begin to become translucent they are almost done so add a bit of butter to the pan to finish them off.
- So much flavor, this is the only way I eat steak.