So recently with the beautiful weather along came with it allergies and sore throat. When this hit I found myself searching for something to sooth my throat and unfortunately no soup was to be found in my house. So I took it upon myself to make it. The easiest soup that came to mind was black bean. It uses canned black beans and not a lot of spices or ingredients. Its quick and filling. This is a vegetarian recipe that has potential to be vegan! So keep this in your back pocket for when that sore throat hits!!
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 stalk celery
- 1/4 onion
- 4 baby carrots
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper
- cumin and cilantro
- vegetable oil and butter
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- cottage cheese (optional)
- sour cream(optional)
- shredded cheese (optional)
- hot sauce (optional)
- mince up the onion, celery, and carrot finely
- in a pot place about a tablespoon of vegetable oil and place on medium heat
- once the oil is hot, place in the minced up veggies and add salt and pepper (just a pinch of each)
- continuously stir. once smells fragrant add the minced garlic
- continue to cook, every time something new is added also add salt and pepper
- once the garlic is getting slightly golden and everything smells good, add a small pad of butter. let this cook for 3 more minutes
- then add the black beans and 1/4 cup of water.
- add a pinch of cumin, cilantro, and red pepper flakes
- continuously stirring let cook for another 10 minutes
- if the water has almost evaporated, add a splash more to keep it wet. this can be replaced with broth is desired.
- use a hand held blender or place into a blender and blend till smooth and creamy
- mine was thick so I used cottage cheese to thin it out.
- the toppings I enjoy is hot sauce, sour cream, and cheese! Its flavorful with a nice kick and will be just what you need!! Great for all seasons!!