Im not a big fan of peas, we don’t really eat them at home. Didn’t eat them much at school, but as I begin to clean out my pantry I stumbled upon a can of peas and decided I need to restore my relationship with these green little pods. I went in knowing I wanted mexican, and I wasn’t sure how peas would fit into that equation. But as the smell of the peas and the smells of the chile powder combined I thought, this could work. Well, it did! these aren’t normal quesadillas, they’re packed full of power and flavor. These add a clean healthy twist to mexican dinners. I know it sounds weird, but it could change your whole perspective of peas.
- can (or frozen) peas
- chile powder
- dried garlic
- dried onion (if fresh mince it very small)
- hot sauce, just a splash but totally optional
- corn tortillas
- lime juice
- in a food processor put in the peas, about 1/2 cup for 2 quesadillas. Then squeeze in a bit of lime juice, about a teaspoon is sufficient. Then add a small sprinkle of the cumin, chile powder, and hot sauce. Add a generous sprinkle of garlic and onion. Then pulse till chunky but combined.
- if you do not have a food processor use a large spoon to squish it all together, the peas are soft enough this shouldn’t be difficult to achieve.
- you have two options as to cooking your quesadillas, bake or pan “fried”. I choose to cook it in a pan. So in a skillet spray a bit of pam on and turn it to medium. Coat the tortilla in pea mixture then lay in the pan. Then layer on your cheese. Then add your other tortilla on top. Let this cook for a few minutes on eat side still it starts to turn light brown.
- I enjoy these with salsa and sour cream, but the choice is yours.
- This will definitely mix up your mexican night, for the better!