What is a whooparoon you may ask? Well it is this delicious little bite of a whoopie pie that is so cute and small it looks almost like a cute french macaroon. My BEAUTIFUL partner in crime Sami helped me make this delicious dish thats so good and so dang cute you’ll want to eat everything. Also its so easy to make and can make a whole lot!
- box yellow cake mix, and the components listed on the box
- cream cheese
- powdered sugar
- maraschino cherries
- make the batter to box directions then add half an orange worth of zest (less if you like a milder flavor) and about 1/4 of that amount of juice. if you want a more orange flavor add zest not juice!
- then on a well grease baking sheet use a teaspoon to scoop out little bits of batter. about as big as a golden dollar, maybe a little bigger or smaller. with the oven set to 350 put the pans in and monitor closely it takes less than 10 minutes to cook and they cook really quick so when they’re just getting brown around the edges pull them out and place on a wire rack to cool
- one box will make a lot of the little baby whooparoons, so keep that in mind.
- let these cool completely before filling them.
- for the filling use a block of cream cheese and about 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. Make sure the cream cheese is soft when you do this.
- blend with an electric mixer for a few minutes, adding sugar as needed. then chop up some cherries into tiny pieces and put them in with just a dash of juice as well.
- Then mix some more adding more sugar as needed until you have a smooth but not liquidy cream cheese frosting.
- then dollop some of the frosting on one side, and drizzle just a bit of nutella
- these are really good and really easy, and they can be adapted to all sorts of flavors and even be made on a bigger scale! They’re great for a valentines sweet for your sweety!