Okay so with my recent trip to Haymarket I ended up walking away with two eggplants, one of which was very ripe which brought me to having to cook them for lunch today. I really wasn’t sure what I was going to do to cook it. Then I saw a recipe on pintrest for something with pesto and I knew what I wanted to do. This recipe is so flavorful and delicious and hot and comforting. I would suggest it to anyone with the few ingredients I have. It would be delicious to bring to a pot luck or any sort of gathering, sure to be a hit!
- eggplant, thinly sliced (you can leave the skin on, personal preference)
- cheese, provolone or mozzarella, and parmesan
- salt and pepper
- I used a small ramekin to cook this is so it was single portion for just me. Then I sprayed this with pan spray.
- so I began with a layer of eggplant, then spread some pesto on that.
- then it was a layer of tomato, then eggplant then cheese then pesto. Where you put the pesto put the parmesan, and don’t use it for the layers you use the provolone
- and you keep doing this for as much as you need. You can skip layers of cheese as you see fit, because too many layers with cheese will make it be like glued together.
- just keep layering until the top layer which is pesto, chopped tomato (use sliced for the other layers) cheese, and top with parmesan.
- bake in the oven for about 30 minutes at 375. Until the cheese is golden and bubbly. Make sure to slice the eggplant thin and uniform so it cooks evenly.
- Eat while hot! This is a great casserole