So my dorm held an Iron Chef competition today and the secret ingredient was croissant rolls, and this threw me for a whirl because I don’t bake. So me and my teammate went to work and decided to do croissants two ways. One sweet(recipe to follow) and one savory, and since they say cook what you know, I decided to make a taco bowl, with the croissant as the bowl and filled with mexican yumminess. I feel as though these should be shared, because these could be a great appetizer! And its a different way to make mexican a little more interesting!
- Croissant Rolls
- black beans
- chicken breast
- pico de gallo (the recipe has been previously posted)
- sour cream
- cilantro, hot sauce, onion, garlic, salt and pepper, salsa
- preheat oven to desired settings, the croissant will take the least amount of time, so work on everything else first
- You don’t have to use chicken, you can use any meat, but if you use chicken, first pat dry the chicken then sprinkle a little flour on it, and shake some salt, pepper, cilantro, and garlic onto each side of the chicken.
- in a skillet put a little bit of olive oil and let it get hot, then lay the chicken down and pour lime juice over it, do this several times throughout the cooking process, when the chicken is almost done add just a smidgen of butter too it to finish it off.
- for the black beans your going to begin by draining them and rinsing them until the water runs clear. Then in a pan sauté up some onion and garlic and once they are transparent add the beans in. Cook for about 20 minutes adding lime juice, cilantro, hot sauce, and salsa. And I know this sounds weird but you also want to add some spanish olive juice (it adds a great salty flavor). Let this cook down, stirring occasionally and adding water when it gets too thick. This will make for great black beans.
- once all your components are near ready, lay the croissant rolls over the backs of muffin tins, to make a cup. bake to the directions listed.
- let the cups cool for just a second, then pop them off, and fill with the chicken, beans, sour cream, pico de gallo, lettuce, and what ever you want.
- eat and enjoy!!
- this could be a super cute appetizer, or an easy dinner. Just a way to shake things up! Enjoy!