So this recipe is usually called a mock heath recipe, but I think this the all around only candy/ bark/dessert recipe a girl(or boy) could possibly want. It has salty, sweet, buttery, and chocolate. And if that is not enough lets put nutella on top! It is fabulous! and did I mention its all of 4 ingredients?! Oh yes, and this recipe is easy! Quick easy and delicious! Its perfect for girls night, or well… any night. Skip the processed candy and try this instead! Im telling you, you will not regret making this recipe 😀
- crackers (saltines are best, but anything works. I used multigrain crackers and tortilla chips, anything salty and cracker like will work, and no worries they can be stale!)
- brown sugar about a half a cup
- half a stick of butter
- nutella, chocolate chips
- tin foil
- layer a glass bottom or cookie sheet with tin foil and grease it well with cooking spray
- layer on a layer of crackers, they can either be whole, or crushed, doesn’t matter
- in a sauce pan mix 1/2 cup of brown sugar with 1/2 stick of butter. stirring constantly let it come to a boil and then reduce it and let it simmer, this mixture will be thick and the sugar will be dissolved. if you cook it too long, it will burn, too short, and the sugar won’t be melted. So you have to get it at just the right thick consistency and keep a hawk eye on it.
- once the toffee(which is basically what you just made in your sauce pan) is ready pour it as evenly as possible over your cracker layer. use a knife to gently spread it out.
- with the oven at 350 cook for 10 minutes, the toffee will look more solid, and less greasy. place some chocolate chips on top of the hot toffee mixture and let them melt on top, baking for a few more minutes if necessary. Let cool on the stove until it is room temperature then place in the refrigerator. Once it is cold, drizzle the nutella on(it is easier when it is cold)
- let sit in the fridge for a little while longer before cutting it and serving!
- Its delicious! and so easy! this will be such a hit as a halloween treat for your friends!